Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Chapter Nine - Changing

Hiding In the Open

Chapter 9: Changing

-::Mickey's POV::-

"The limo?" I asked.

"The limo." he nodded. And so we ran off...


... I know what you're thinking. I can't tell him I love him but I can... you know. But we didn't. We

just made out. The next day I felt awful. How can someone like me not be in love with him, but

make out with him? I don't do that. That wasn't me. I grew up on morals that I have to love the

man before I lust him and I mean even kissing. I was changing. I could feel it and I didn't like it.

He was too. But he was going down a different path. It was over time, but I could see he was

getting... protective. Borderline overprotective. I just thought it was cute. But then one beautiful

summer day in June, right after school got out, it hit me. He was going to be a senior. He was

leaving in a year. So I attributed that to the fact of his... protectiveness. But there was that stupid

gut intuition feeling again... deep down, I knew something was up. I just didn't want to admit it.


Who would?

-::Bret's POV::-

I couldn't let her out of my sight. I don't know why. If we weren't together, I'd call and text her to

make sure of where she was and what she was doing. She was special to me and I didn't want her

to be with any other guys. If she was with Ash, I felt a bit better. I wouldn't call or text as often.

But I still did. One day she wouldn't text me back. I got so worried. So I called her house.

"Hello?" she answered the phone.

"Mickey, oh thank god." I said.

"Oh hey Bret! What's wrong?" she asked innocently.

"What's wrong?" I asked shocked. "You haven't called me, you haven't answered any of my texts.

I've been worried sick."

"Oh, hun, I'm so sorry!" she said. "My phone was off 'cause I was out with my parents and I forgot

to turn it back on."

"Really?" I asked, wanting to believe it, but for some reason, not.

"I swear." she promised.

"Alright." I said, easing up. "So how was your day... with you parents?"

"It was good." she answered. "We went out to breakfast then we went shopping for a new

dishwasher. The one we had broke because someone stuck a fork in it and it got caught. Well

it actually broke because someone try to yank it out and said "Oh I can fix that." How about

NOT!" she said emphasizing each "someone" as if they were in the same room and putting on a

dumb voice for "Oh I can fix that". Then she added "Gosh my dad can be so clueless."

"Hey I heard that!" said a male voice in the background that definitely belonged to her father. She

giggled. That giggle just washed the rest of my tension away.

"Sound like fun." I said laughing softly along with her.

"Oh yeah. Tons." she answered sarcastically. "So what's up with you? Well, other than worrying

about me."

"Oh nothing." I replied. "Just went out to the field to practice throwing..."

"So basically you were just worrying about me." she said. I love how she knows I really throw to

think unless I'm at practice or if I have a big game. It was summer. No games and no practice until

August.

"Yeah, pretty much." I said.

"I'm sorry, really. Please don't be mad." she begged.

"I'm not mad, I'm not mad." I assured her. And I wasn't... totally.

"Well, how about I make it up to you?" she said.

"How?" I asked.

"Well, part of it would be a date night." she said.

"And the other part?" I asked, intrigued.

"Well that would be a surprise." she said.

"Oooo, I like surprises!" I said.

"Hmmm, I think you'll love this one." she said mysteriously, but as if she was dropping a hint.

"I can't wait. So when?" I asked.

"You doing anything tonight?" she asked.

"Nope." I said.

"Then tonight." she said. "I'll call and get reservations. Hopefully I can this late in the day."

"Great. What time?" I asked.

"6:30 reservation for 7:00." she suggested.

"Sounds perfect." I said. "Wait what should I wear?"

"Oh a nice shirt, tie, slacks and a blazer would be appropriate." she said.

"Cool. So I'll see you at 6:30 when I pick you up?" I asked to clerify.

"Yep." she confirmed.

"Great, see you then." I said.

"Yeah." she answered dreamily, obviously day dreaming about how our date will go. "I promise

it'll be a night neither of us will forget." Then she hung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment