Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Part One: Chapter Three - Fascination

Hiding in the Open

Part One: The Beginning

Chapter Three: Fasination

-:Bret's POV:-

I don't know what it is about her. I just can't stop thinking about her. The way her strawberry

blonde hair shimmers in the light as it's blown by an air conditioner vent in the hallway. The way

her bright teal eyes glisten when she's in a deep discussion with my sister and Jeanie. The way her

hand gently sweeps a strand of hair out of her face. The way the same hand lightly brushes

against her cheek as she's lowering it. She's turining me into a romantic. If there's one thing I

know it's I want her. I want her to be mine and only mine. She's now all I focus on, on the verge of

obsession. She's now... a fasination.


The start off lunch bell rang but I didn't hear it. I was looking for her. It's been almost six and a

half months. She, my sister and Jeanie were tighter than my football pants. She was constantly

coming over for study dates and sleep overs. I usually missed her during the week because of

practice.

"Bret. Earth to Bret!" Sierra said annoyed.

"Slap him, SiSi." Megan suggested.

"Oh *beep* it." Then she slapped me.

"Hey!" I jumped. "What was that for?"

"You were out of it again." she said. The others laughed.

"Oh. Sorry." I said.

"God you're the worst boyfriend ever!" she snapped. More smirks from the group.

"Well, then maybe I shouldn't be. I mean your boyfriend at all." I said. The group vocalized with a

resounding "Oooooo."

"Are you breaking up with me?" she asked shocked.

"Yeah, I guess I am." I said. "And for the final time." The group was silent now.

"Bret Matthew Gibson, you are sooooo going to regret this." Sierra sneered.

"No I don't think I will." I said. "Listen, I'm willing to stay friends I you are." I knew that would

touch a nerve.

"You're willing to stay friends?" she shrieked. At this point the whole school was

watching.

"I take it you're not." I said. She just gawked at me fuming.

"If you think you're going to get away with this, you are sooo wrong." she threatened.

"Really, I don't care at this point." I said. "Listen, as you've prolly already noticed, I've moved on."

"The freshman?" she growled.

"Actually yeah." I said.

"You wouldn't." she said, slightly shocked. She knew I would.

"You know I would. No you know I will." I said sternly. She was lost for words. "I'll cetch you

guys later." I got up and left. On the way, I looked over and saw her. I smiled. She weakly smiled,

trying not to be obvious to the scream team aka my sister and Jeanie. I went to the field and

grabbed the basket of footballs. I throw when I think. Then there was a soft voice from behind.

"Hey Bret." It was my best friend, Will.

"Hey bro." I said, throwing a ball.

"Dude, you really like this girl." he said.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked knowing the answer.

"Is that retorical?" he asked smiling. I smiled back.

"I just want to know, aer you really going to... you know... ask her out?" he asked.

"I don't know. Maybe. I'm thinking about it." I said honestly. I reached for a ball but he grabbed

my arm.

"Dude, take some advice from a bro. Don't." he said.

"What? Ask her out?" I asked. "Why not?"

"Because, I don't want to see you get hurt." he said. "Your rep could get serious damage. And if

you get a girl that you really like, your head won't be in the game."

"Dude, I promise that won't happen." I said. Maybe. I thought.

"Sorry bro. Can't take your word for that." he said apologetically. "Remember Jimmy Carl?"

"Oh yeah..." I said, remembering.

"He was our best line backer but blew it cuz he was spending too much time with her and thinking

about her." he reminded me. "We need you bro. Badly. You're our only hope for going all the way!"

"Hmmm. Maybe you're right." I agreed.

"No, I am right." he said.

"Debateable." I said.

"Come on dude. At least wait 'til after the season's over." he begged.

"We'll see." I said. "I won't set up to ask her out but if it just happenes well then you let it go."

"Fine." he said. Then he left.

That night at practice was awful. I couldn't throw.

"Gibson. Here. Now." my coach called me.

"Yeah Coach?" I asked.

"You okay, bud?" he asked concerned.

"I'm fine. Just have some stuff on my mind." I said.

"I've never seen you throw this bad. Maybe you should go home." he suggested.

"Coach, I got it. I'll focus now." I pleaded.

"Son, I think you should go." he told me.

"Ok." I said glumly. I went to the locker room, grabbed my stuff and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment