Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Part One: Chapter six - Surprise

Hiding In the Open

Part One: The Beginning

Chapter Six: Surprise

-::Bret's POV::-

After the dream I couldn't look at her the same. I almost felt like a sinner. But then I realized how

stupid I was. I had no control over my dreams.

"Hey Mickey." I said sitting down with her like I'd been doing for the past few lunches since... that

day.

"Hey, Bret." she said matter of factly. "I need an interview for the school newspaper and I was

wondering if you'd be willing."

"The school newspaper?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm the newest recruit." she smiled. "My mom said I needed more extracuirrculars than

just drama and choir and since I love to write I figured it would be fun."

"Oh cool." I said. "Interview away."

She asked me about how I juggled football, school and my social life. She asked me about my

plans for after high school. Than she asked me about a bunch of little things like my favorite food

and my favorite hang out where I got my clothes. Every answer I gave she was writing vigorously

in her notebook.

"Thanks Bret." she smiled. "You might make front page."

"No problem." I said smiling back.

The next day at school was... strange. People were saying hi to me in the halls and the boys were

giving me high fives. After the break up with SiSi and since I started eating with freshman, my

popularity had gone down. What was going on?

"Heeey Bret!" SiSi waved. "You're looking cute today."

"Um, thanks?" I asked confused.

"Why haven't you been eating with us?" she asked as if nothing happened. "We miss you."

"SiSi, cut the crap please?" I said.

"What crap?" she asked innocently. "You're the most popular guy in school, so you should eat with

the other popular people."

"S, my popularity is gone after... what happened." I said.

"Well now it's back." she smiled, handing me a packet. I looked down. It was the school

newspaper. On the front page was a picture of me.

BRET GIBSON: A QUIET KNIGHT IN HIDDEN ARMOR

by Mickayla Reese

We all know of him. He's QB of our football team, the most gorgous guy in the school and
probably the most charismatic. But many people don't know him. I do. Recently he has had
some tough times in his life. Through decisions he made on his own, his popularity was diminished. But why? If he really was popular, people would like him for who he is, not because he fits a mold that our social student body has sculped for him. I've known Bret since the first day of this year. He's become a good friend to me. I know him better than more than half of you. I know that he is a quiet but beautiful, caring and kind person. He willingly gave up his popularity to be my friend. I once accused him of not being chivalrous. But I was wrong, horribly wrong. He is a quiet knight in hidden armor, secretly, silently sacrificing himself to be a friend.


The article then went into the interview. I couldn't believe it. She stood up for me. I could feel the

tears in my eyes. I don't cry... except at my grandma's funeral. I quickly blinked them back before

anyone could see.

"She's right." SiSi admitted. "The freshman's right." She took my hand. "During our relationship

you always were doing something for me. And I never thanked you once. So thank you." She

kissed me on the cheek and left.

-::Mickey's POV::-

"I can't believe it worked!" Ash squealed. "No one reads the paper!"

"That's why it's helpful that the editor of the paper is a senior that has a blog." I smiled. "She

spread the word."

"Mickey, I have never met anyone like you." Jeanie said. "I'm glad I did meet you."

"Awww, thanks Jeanie." I threw my arms around her and engulfed her in a hug.

"Mickey?" The voice that called my name was filled with emotion. I turned to se Bret's eyes filled

with gratitude. "Thank you." I stood up and took his hands.

"If anyone deserves it, it's you." I whispered. He pulled me into a bear hug. When he let go he said,

"Come on, there are some people I want you to meet." He took my hand and led me to the

popular table.

"Hey guys. This, is Mickey." he said.

"Hi Mickey!" the group said in unison.

"Hi." I said weakly. "It's so nice to meet you."

"Hi I'm Sierra!" the goddess jumped up and stuck out her hand. "I can tell we're going to be great

friends."

"Uh right." I said. In your dreams chica.

"This is Megan, Jake, Brock, Lily, and Will." he introduced me. Lunch was nice with the populars

but it wasn't the same without Ash and Jeanie. I said this to Bret and he nodde his head. He got up

to go get them. The moment he was out of earshot, the group turned on me.

"What?" I asked.

"Oh you know what." SiSi snapped.

"Yeah, I thought you'd turn out to be a bitch." I said almost conversationaly.

"Excuse me?" she asked shocked and so was the group.

"Yes, you're excused." I said. "But only this once. You treat me like that again and you could be

socially murdered by a pen and paper... or more like a computer and paper."

"Oh you think that just because you are a school newspaper reporter you have power over us?"

Megan asked.

"Shut up Megan and let me handle this." SiSi sneered. "So you think that just because you are a

school newspaper reporter you have power over us?"

"Um you took that from Megan. She has as much of a right to speak as you do." I said. "And I'm

sure she's sick of not having her own voice."

"Yeah!" Megan said. "And Sierra there's one thing I'd like to say... well there's more than one thing

but an important one is..." she took a deep breath and said, "I'm in love with Bret and I think he

deserves more that a selfish, self-centered, fake, bitch-whore like you!" Sierra gasped and so did

the rest of the group.

"You did NOT just say that!" Sierra cut at her.

"I did. And I won't take a word of it back." she said. "I've had enough of your crap." She turned to

leave the table. But Sierra, not knowing how to handle being stood up to like that, went wild...

literally.

"Yeeeeeee- yah!" she ran and jumnped on Megan's back tackling her.

"Sierra! What the f**ck!!!" Megan screeched. Of course the whole school was watching. It turned

into a full blown cat fight... or bitch fight. Then Bret and the girls came over to me.

"What'd I miss?" Bret asked confused. I told them. They weren't so shocked about SiSi turning on

me but thet were shocked Megan turned on her. Soon some teachers came to break up the fight.

Bret and I introduced the girls to the rest of the group and we finished up an interesting lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment